Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The 'Reanimation' of CK

Reanimate: To rouse from a state of inactivity or quiescence. Time to return to the real Me. In the past I was always very active, in good working order, sharp in mind and extremely productive. The last few years have seen the disastrous effects of added poundage and sitting around and eating myself into the grave!

My health is in great need of repair and the weight must come off for good!
I began to ponder about feeling ghastly tired, listless, and with little motivation. Sugar and fat-laden goodies had put my mind in a foggy state, and I no longer had a desire to design and create, clean my house or even cook. My eyes were no longer the windows to the world because the shades kept closing and the lenses were not crisp and clear. Strange sharp headaches woke me from deep sleeps and heaviness pressed down on my chest like a team of pacaderms.

My blood pressure was very high in August and this is unusual for me for I've always had very good readings. The classic symptoms of diabetes are here also. Yes, there have been some personal problems, but only I can allow myself to react in self-destructive ways. What, o what have I done to myself? Time to take care of CK . . . time for reanimation!

The stage was set on January 18th of this year and after two full weeks of 'behaving,' I'm ready to start blogging my progress. It took 12 days to start feeling better. I am not dieting, but changing my lifestyle . . . making wise choices and taking a few vitamins and supplements. My goal is to return to walking 5 miles a day, 4 to 5 days a week. I used to do this in 2-1/2 mile segments before and after work when I lived in San Diego. Yes, I have arthritis and pain, but it is time to find solutions and work with what I've got before I lose all flexibility and strength.

My butter-slathering days are over. The loaves of Italian bread will remain in the market. No longer will my oven be pumping out brownies and cookies by the dozen. Milk will last for many more days now. *This doesn't mean that I will 'never' 'ever' . . . it means that these will be put in their place . . . as small desserts for a couple of days a week -- a sharp contrast to starting the day eating two or three brownies with a couple glasses of milk or waking in the middle of the night looking for 'something!'

I've done copious amounts of reading about nutrition, etc. My plan is set.

I will not count calories, nor grams of fat. Fat is desirable and essential in its proper form (derived from plants instead of animals). I will not let the scale depress me (for building muscle is necessary for fitness and calorie burning and muscle weighs more than fat).

There is no set date, no finish line. This has to be it -- a return to the basics . . . fresh produce, lean cuts and eating to live rather than living to eat. The food industry in this country is killing us and I refuse to continue eating fake fat-inducing products.

Follow my blog and see the changes as I reanimate. I will post a picture of my current self. The numbers are not as important as the overall change . . . how trim I become, how active I become and how the reanimation affects my productivity. I need to work with a clear head and with inspiration. I will get back the old Me which was a much better Me!

. . . by the way . . . in the last 2 weeks, I have NOT been hungry at all and I've been eating plenty but already losing weight. My goal is to lose a minimum of 90 pounds and to fit back into my size 10 jeans! Cheer me on!!! Any suggestions will be welcomed!

I also look forward to sharing my projects as I regain my edge and start producing again.
My life's work has been in graphic design, jewelry design and photography and I'm eager to get going again. Let's see how things start to turn around for me. Perhaps you will be inspired and encouraged by my efforts.

5 comments:

  1. Good start - - just keep the momentum going - -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you success!
    I'll be checking back on your progress.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic . . . I've resolved to do something similar this year. I miss my old thin, supple, flexible self. I still feel just a little resentful that I can no longer enjoy all the "goodies" I used to without wearing them on my butt, but I'm working on changing my thinking about that. I've decided that this is my year, and this is my theme song:

    "I'm so glad that you finally made it here,"
    "You thought nobody cared, but I did, I could tell,"
    And "This is your year," and "It always starts here,"
    And oh, "You're aging well."

    (from Dar Williams' "You're Aging Well"

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Clairol says, "You're not getting older, you're getting better!" Ya, better at coming up with snappy comebacks! LOL

    ReplyDelete