Thursday, February 4, 2010

February, The Month of My Birth

Ummmmm . . . Getting older is not the scariest thing. The scariest issue for me is getting sicker and not being able to fix it. I was diagnosed with arthritis at 15 and have always had pain in my joints. I've had two very bad car accidents which injured limbs and joints.

The most intelligent thing I can do is take much better care of myself.

Soon I will turn 59. In one very swift year, I will be 60. Will I feel better, be back to a healthy weight and continue in a good walking program? These are the biggest goals. There are smaller ones but these will keep for another time.

First Goal Reached !!!
I got my mile+ in yesterday! It was so depressing that I could only walk a few blocks before having to return home and sit because of the burning in my lower back. Each city block = 1/10th of a mile and last week I had started walking around the block a few times and returning home and going out again after an hour for a repeat. The goal for this week was to walk an entire mile or a bit more each day (even if it had to be broken into 2 or 3 sessions).

Very grateful to my husband, Jim, for walking with me at Robbin Hill Park. I had never stopped there but always wanted to. This is not a place I would feel comfortable walking alone in at all -- very wooded, and until we were back to the car, we did not see a single person. I like the trails a lot. They are well maintained and there are walking-only trails with the horse trails going into separate areas. The earth is soft compared to walking on the sidewalks, and there are some manageable hills, if one chooses them. We did. I did much better than I expected to!

The air smelled so good with all those tall evergreens surrounding us. I took a lot of deep breaths, really appreciating the clean sweet air we are blessed with here on the Olympic Peninsula. What a huge difference from SoCal. I need to keep appreciating the beauty Sequim and surrounds has to offer. Gotta take more advantage of this.

I could start by posting pictures of myself, posting my weight and all that. There are so many things I could say but for now I want to share the joys of the little achievements.

A few years ago, I could never sit in the house. Walking was something that I thoroughly enjoyed and if days were missed, I would actually crave it. Today, I have this craving. What a wonderful craving! Early this afternoon, I'm heading out again. Hopefully I will get in my mile+ again! and will be very grateful for being able to do so!

Each step takes me closer to better health! . . . and feeling better leads to greater happiness!

This is Robin Hill Park, located between Sequim and Port Angeles, WA (Olympic Peninsula)
http://www.clallam.net/CountyParks/html/parks_robinhill.htm

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! It inspires me to get a move on with my own first goal. Congrats!! :)

    ReplyDelete